Shaun and I are still trying to reconcile our respective holiday family traditions. I grew up in a home where we opened all of our presents on Christmas Eve. All Santa brought were practical things like shampoo and pencils. Santa wasn't a crucial figure. We had Christmas Dinner on Christmas Eve since my mom didn't want to be cooking all day on what was her holiday too. And my parents didn't even wake up to watch us open our stockings.Shaun's family, on the other hand, made everything an event. Christmas Eve was only for opening your new knitted slippers, PJ's and a stuffed animal. The secret identity of Santa was very closely guarded and great care was taken to make sure Santa stayed alive in the hearts of his siblings. The next morning everyone waited at the bottom of the stairs so they could see the tree and all the presents Santa brought at the same time. And then Christmas Dinner was Christmas night.
I think it should be done my way and he thinks it should be done his. About two years ago we finally found a compromise. We now open half the presents Christmas Eve and the other half Christmas morning. I kind of like how it spreads the gift giving out some. The kids don't care, they were just excited to get new toys!
The kids loved their new light sabers. (thanks Aunt Carley!)
Alex liked his new truck but Annie loved riding around in it.
Alex liked his new remote controlled car. He and Annie giggled every time it flipped over. (Thanks Grandma and Papa!)
At Annie's first birthday a few months ago, she struggled with unwrapping presents. She didn't have any problems ripping off the paper this time.I love the Christmas season but December seems to be a much shorter month now then it was when I was growing up. I'm not ready for Christmas to be over. I love the lights and the music. I wish there was snow covering the ground, but even without it, I like the new cold season. I like the feeling that radiates in this season. However, my kids have been really whinny and demanding the last few days so I'll be glad to get things back to their normal routine. Meanie Mommy has also been slacking on her job since I got my nose stuck in the Twilight series. It took me two days to finish the first two books which means I neglected Annie and Alex and let them run around just playing with their new toys. Hey, even mommy deserves a break on Christmas, right?
1 comment:
I TOLD you that you would get sucked in by the books!!!! good luck getting back to the real world!
Post a Comment