Sunday, December 28, 2008

Reflections

I had a good Christmas, but even so I felt a little sad the whole week of Christmas. I figured it was just the lack of snow or maybe the change Christmas is compared to Christmas wonder of childhood. Maybe it is how crowded my apartment has been since adding a tree in it and surrounding it with new toys for the kids. I was determined to get my mind back right yesterday! First things first, get my living room back. It sounds grinchy, but we packed up all the Christmas stuff and put them back into storage. It immediately made the space open up a little more again. But, no, that wasn't it. I felt kind of sad putting everything away, and that didn't help my mood at all. I finally figured out what had been bothering me. Alex turned three. I'm thrilled that he's getting bigger and smarter. I love to hear him tell me new things and to show me what he's learned to do. He can be so nice and helpful to his sister and I love to cuddle with him. But he's three now. As my husband so sensitively reminded me, that is 1/6th of his childhood home with us. I love being a mommy to toddlers. I would freeze time if I could and keep them this size. All the time I have grown up mommies in the grocery store tell me how their babies are 30 years old now. I never want to be that mom! My own mother swears that it just gets better. She says she loved every stage and each stage has it's unique charms and it's ok to let them get bigger, but I'm having a hard time seeing that. I watched Annie walk hand in hand with Shaun yesterday and thinking I wish I had my camera, but since I didn't I tried to memorize that scene and how sweet it was. But I remember having that conversation with myself not too long ago about Alex, and now I can't picture his scene in my head. My poor kids, that's probably why they've had thousands of pictures taken of them already. They say after you die, all things come back to your remembrance. I sincerely hope that that includes little precious moments with your infants and toddlers that our brains just can't seem to hold on too. And Alex said goodbye to nursery. Next week we start primary and Sunbeams. I am excited for the first time he gets up in church to sing in a primary program. I know I have a tons of fun things to look forward too. He's such a great little kid. Even when he makes me crazy, I wouldn't trade this time for anything!

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

They really do grow up fast and I don't know why it is so hard to hold on to those memories. Thanks for the post it reminded me to cherish each moment.

Anica said...

Oh, I just loved this post! I've been feeling down about DJ growing up so fast lately too. I hope it does get better. I am trying to stay positive and look forward to all the things he will accomplish in his life.

E said...

I can still remember getting the phonecall when we got home from church that Christmas. i couldn't believe he didn't fit my time schedule! I can't wait for those things to come back to our remembrance--pull out your DVD's--remember that's why you picked that camera:) It is sad watching our boys grow up and it makes me sad that I am not there to see him right now. Give him bigs hugs for me and tell him Happy Birthday!