Friday, June 25, 2010
Science Class
If you read my blog at all you know that Alex is into all things science. Well, while we were home my mom needed to dispatch some of her bunnies for dinner that night. I had already talked to Alex about the similarities between people and other animals and a friend of mine said she dissected a fetal pig with her four year old, so I asked Alex if he wanted to see the inside of a bunny. Alex's main concerns were for the welfare of the bunny. After I explained that the bunny had died of natural causes (OK, yes, I lied, but my mom did have a bunny die of natural causes a few weeks back so I told that story), and Alex wanted a reassurance that the bunny would be resurrected someday. Then he was excited to see all the organs. My mom had already skinned the bunny before we came outside, and then starting from the bladder and working up, we talked about what each organ did. He was most interested in the intestines and the heart. And the bunny's heart was about the same size as Baby Ben's heart right now, so it was a good visual too. Alex seemed to enjoy his little dissection project, but I probably wouldn't have done it for any other kid his age who wasn't so interested in the body. The part I was hesitant on was that he wanted to see the head. We let him but drew the line when he wanted us to cut it open and show him brains.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dissection, huh? That isn't something that I had thought to do with a little kid. I think it is cool, though, so maybe V would too?
Post a Comment