I woke this morning at about 2 am and I could tell we were in the early stages of labor. After that I was way to excited to go back to sleep...but I ended up doing just that and after waking up at 7 am all my contractions had stopped. I wasn't ready to give up though. I probably walked 3 miles over the next hour in an attempt to get labor started again, and it worked.
I ended up listening to Shaun and my Mom that we should get to the hospital sooner rather then later (and I am glad I did) to make sure we didn't hit traffic or back ups and when they checked me in at 2:30 pm I was bummed to find out I was only 3 cm. So it was back to walking for the next hour. I could tell that labor really started on its way during this hour or so. And, hurray, when we got back I was a 5/6cm and I got a room.
Side note: I'm a huge advocate of natural childbirth, and I am also very thankful for birth amnesia. I remember all the details of my previous births but they lose their edge and make you think that the next time through is going to be fine. It's not until you are right in the middle of it again that you really remember what labor is like...and yet not 24 hours later I look back and think, "It wasn't that bad."
Anyway, I got my room and after fighting my doctor (the midwife called in sick) and refusing dumb, unnecessary treatments I was ready to get this baby out. I think I was doing pretty good until the last 5 minutes. The contractions were coming really close and hard and at 9 cm the doctor broke my water and I felt like I completely lost control. Shaun, Mom, and I aren't completely sure how long I pushed, but we're guessing anywhere between 45 seconds and a minute. Ben entered the world quick and it was a good think cause I found out later he had the cord wrapped all over his arm and neck, but he wasn't in the birth canal long enough for it to matter. I was beyond excited to meet my new little baby and he's been such a good baby so far. He loves to eat, nursing for an hour at a time, and I love cuddling the little man. We're glad to have him join our family.
13 comments:
Congratulations. Can't wait to meet the little guy.
YAY!! Congratulations!
Baby Ben is beautiful...I am so glad the birth is over and you get to enjoy your new little bundle of joy. So excited for your family.
Congratulations:) Wonderful birth story and we can't wait to meet him!
I think he looks mor elike Annie in these pics...OH I CAN'T WAIT to get my hands on him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats!!! Maybe I can come meet him when I come in a few weeks!!!
Solid work my friend.
Congrats! And way to advocate for yourself! Good job!
And I think Ben looks halfway inbetween Alex and Annie.
Congrats! Thanks for letting me take care of your other two as you went through this amazing process. They were so excited and anxious. Ben is a good mix of the two, though I think the pics on here have a little more annie in them. Maybe it is the cute cheeks! Good work! I look forward to meeting the little man!
Congrats! Thanks for letting me take care of your other two as you went through this amazing process. They were so excited and anxious. Ben is a good mix of the two, though I think the pics on here have a little more annie in them. Maybe it is the cute cheeks! Good work! I look forward to meeting the little man!
Congratulations! You know you're not supose to scare us "natural childbirth" women. I'm fully counting on my memories of "it's not that bad."
I don't want to scare anyone out of natural childbirth, but it is what it is. And apparently I was exuding a calm that I in no way felt during the whole thing :)
Birth amnesia is a wonderful thing...if I think really hard about it it makes me nervous because it is intense and I can remember...but it really isn't that bad. I'm so excited to see Ben (even if just in pictures). Congrats! I see a little bit of Alex in him, but that always changes so fast.
Oh Penny, he's pure heaven. He does remind me of the pictures I've seen of Annie as a baby.
I can't believe you're back on your feet in the swing of things (posting, etc.) so quickly.
Love to the Lutz's!
Post a Comment