Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I Felt Inspired

I went over to my friend's house the other day and her mother in law was making some clothes for her daughter. The fabric she'd picked out was adorable and all of a sudden I felt inspired to make something for Annie. When I was growing up, money was tight. My mom often made clothes for us. I wish I had pictures to show you. Making clothes was apparently cheaper than buying them. That is not the case anymore. I love to shop. But I don't like to spend money. So my favorite time to shop is after season clearance sales. Few things make me as gitty as finding shirts for Alex for a dollar(The Children's Place Outlet), or that cute jacket for Annie for next winter for 3 dollars(Osh Kosh). I paid $1.30 at CVS for a folding table for the kids, and it made my day for two days. Anyway, back to making a dress. By the time you buy the fabric (which was on sale) and the pattern and the other pieces that go with it, it's not a cheap dress. So I started to make it. I had it cut out and barely started when it hit 11pm and I had to go to sleep. The next day I had a dentist appointment and I did some shopping (all the time excited to get back to sewing). As I was going to leave my friends house, we saw a big evil tow truck with my car attached. THEY TOWED MY CAR. Of course that never makes for a good day. And I am two years old at heart. The big mean tow company put my car in time out and I cried. So when I got home I put the kids down for naps and started to sew. It was amazing. I didn't turn happy or anything, but sewing the dress, and even picking parts out again, was so therapeutic. It completely calmed me down. So now I know. If I have a day where I just want to call it quits, I should just start sewing! Well, here's a picture of the dress I made Annie.


5 comments:

Sheri and her Men said...

Penny! That dress is so cute! You should sell those on ebay. Annie looks adorable. Oh the matching bow is too much!

millerjk said...

So,so cute!!

Anica said...

Yay! You enabled comments!! Wow, you are so talented. I love that dress! The pictures of Annie are so cute. (Sorry to hear about your car being towed though...holy cow!) I still have the baby girl quilt that we made 5 years ago (do you remember?) I've made several quilts since then (but always with help! :))
Anyhow, adorable baby and dress! :)

Rich and Luz Stearns said...

Penny - You are amazing! I LOVE your blog and totally LOVE this ADORABLE CUTE dress. yeay!

Rich and Luz Stearns said...

Dude - You have the BEST photographic technique. Seriously, you're SO good. OH and it helps that your kids are so darn cute!