Tuesday, August 25, 2009
A Tale of Refinishing Floors
The floors in the house are awful. I can't get them clean from the years of neglect they've had. They are an ok shade of oak, but there's water damage and dirt ground in. The last project that I'm insisting we finish before we move in this week is to get the floors refinished. Yesterday we rented a sander and then I spent the next 10 hours sanding the 750 square feet of wood on the second floor. By hour 7 I wanted to fall asleep on the spot and my hands were starting to go tingly. But we eventually got them all done. The floors aren't prefect, but we aren't aiming for perfection, just much better. That has been our mantra today as spent hours cleaning all the saw dust up and then staining the floors. Shaun wanted a dark stain and I was going for something closer to the color of the playroom floors. I thought I would go for a compromise and thought I got something in the middle. Turns out the stain was a fairly dark cherry color. The picture on the can is very misleading. But even though it's probably 5 shades darker then what I wanted, I think I'm really going to like it. Even better, it completely covers the water damage in the back room and the years of ground in dirt in the living room. I'm not sure even how our furniture is going to match, but it's stained and done and tomorrow I'll have pictures and the first coat of polyurethane down. And it's on schedule to be done before we move everything in.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
so excited for you to have a new house! Way to go on all the hard work of prepping it to be ready! You are a model DIY'er :)
I can't believe how much you have gotten done on the house. I can't wait to see the floors...and the pictures once you move in. Good work! I am impressed!
Love you, K
It sounds beautiful! I love dark cherry floors. You'll just need to get an area rug for the front room to tie it in with your furniture. I'm dying to see all the improvements.
Post a Comment