Thursday, August 6, 2009

We're Morgage Holders!

The bank fulfilled their part of the deal. They got everything fixed that we asked them to. As we went through the final walk through though, we found out some more bad news. We had the bank fix a part of the boiler that needed to be fixed to even see if the boiler worked... well, it doesn't and the bank wasn't going to fix anymore of the "AS IS" house. We also found out that the combination of the whole in the overhang to the basement letting in hot air and the new air conditioning cooling down the house made condensation in my house leading to MOLD! It's not awful but I still have to rip half the ceilings out of my bedroom. I was feeling a nervous break down coming on with the last minute disasters, but even so it still just felt right to buy the house. By the time we actually got to settlement I was just done. I sat kind of numb through the signing papers process. Shaun, being who he is, asked questions about every paper we signed. It took two hours!
Today we went to the house bright and early to start work on it. We fixed one major defect and bought windows. I'm already "bonding" with the house and with every repair and inch of cleaning I remember why I wanted it despite it's current problems. Annie and Alex love it. And they already love the two boys that live next door. I just about cried when Alex came and asked me if he could go next door to play with his friends. It's exactly what I want for them. The two little boy's parent's have been a blessing to us, too. They are helping us with ladders and lawn equipment and a friendly faces while we get ourselves settled. It's been hilarious to see how many uncanny similarities my new neighbor and I have.
So, yep, we bought a house...let the work begin!

4 comments:

daveandlisa said...

Congratulations!!!! That is so exciting. I'm so happy for you guys. Although hearing about all of the problems you guys have with your house, it makes me feel guilty for whining about the minuscule "cosmetic" problems I have with my house. I hope you get it functioning and looking the way you want soon! You guys deserve it.

millerjk said...

Yeah!! CONGRATULATIONS! Can't wait to see pictures of the progress on your new project. So excited for you guys!

Stephen and Gabrielle said...

Congratulations! And now the real work begins . . . But at least it is on your own house! Welcome to the ranks of homeowners!

Anica said...

Wow!! Congratulations! What a happy time for you! Looking forward to seeing some pictures!