Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Life's Education

Somethings in life we learn the hard way. I've learned two very important lessons this week.

Lesson One: Always keep your wood stairs swept clean.
Well, duh. Common sense, right? How did this great epiphany come to me? I've swept my stairs a few times since moving here, but honestly I didn't think much of it. Until I fell down them. My feet slipped on the top step and I slid all the way down to the bottom. It left a HUGE bruise on my backside and I banged up my back and my elbows at the same time. Later that day I almost took another spill down the stairs. Only then did I realize they needed to be swept and that is why they were so slick. They weren't even that dirty.

Lesson Two: Never ever use furniture polish on wood floors.
It turns them into a skating rink. Apparently this is common knowledge, but I had no idea. I was dusting yesterday and Annie spilled milk next to where I was. Rather then get up and get floor cleaner, I figured I'd just spray it with what I had in my hands already... furniture polish. A few minutes later I stepped on the area and barely caught myself. Annie and Alex have run through the living room and hit that spot, only to go sliding across the floor. So never ever use furniture polish on floors.

No comments: