Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My First Blooms

I have no experience with bulbs, but last fall I thought I would buy a bunch and add some color to our front lawn. I didn't realize that the front yard never sees the sun so where as my neighbor's daffodils are all in full bloom, mine are just starting. But I'm still excited to see the little bits of yellow starting and there are about 30 more buds which should bloom in the next week or so.

The other thing that Shaun and I really wanted to do was grow blueberries in the back yard. You wouldn't think it was much of a project, but there are thick roots under, what seems like, our entire back yard. It took Shaun about 2 hours to dig a fairly small hole to transplant the blueberry bushes into because every couple inches down he would have to take a saw to the roots. Annie and Alex got to learn what is good for plants, ie... manure, humus, sunshine, and water, and they learned how to transplant a plant and make a good home for it. We are supposed to only get a couple blueberries off the bushes this summer, but next summer we should get a decent harvest. Grow little bushes, Grow!

No comments: