Tuesday, June 24, 2008

National Zoo

We love the National Zoo. We took Alex for the first time when he was about 2 months old. He didn't know what was going on then, but he does now. He was so excited to go and see the hippos. It's his favorite animal at the zoo. He does a very good impression of a hippo call. We were kind of disappointed in the hippo today. He just floated under the water, only coming up for air. He didn't make any noises or anything.

Alex consulted the map to see where the bears were. He really looked at it, and if I didn't know any better, I'd think he was actually getting some information out of it!

We went to go see the wild cats. I love the fishing cats. Today they were lazily soaking up sun some where so we saw a little bit of one, and the other one was absent altogether, but that didn't stop the kids from getting so excited about the goldfish swimming around inside the cage.
We went to the monkey house to see the orangutans and we were so lucky to get there in time to see one of the monkeys poop out of a tree. It's not fun to watch, but Alex has been having me read a book called, "Everyone Poops" over and over again, and I took this as a perfect oppertunity to show him first hand, that indeed, everyone does poop. Well, BIRDS POOP TOO!!


Eliza and Alex stopped to smell the flowers and we were off to see the Pandas, the elephants, the horses, and the lions and tigers. There's a statue of two bears playing that I've always liked and Annie had finally woken up from her nap so we took the photo op and got a picture of the five of them.

The kids all took turns being King of the Rock. And for the first time I noticed mist makers at the zoo. Disney has them all over the place. They're water jets that send out just a mist of water. Alex had fun cooling off!

No comments: