Monday, June 2, 2008

Our "Butterfly"

About a month ago, Alex and Andrew made a caterpillar house. (see Twins for a Day) Shaun and I were trying to teach them about how caterpillars turn into beautiful butterflies. Not long after we put them in their container, they settled down at the bottom and both of them made cocoons within a few hours of each other. We tried to explain to him that the caterpillars were sleeping and when they woke up they would be butterflies. Yesterday they woke up. Every May we get hundreds of these furry caterpillars everywhere, and yesterday we found out that they don't turn into pretty butterflies. They wake up to be really ugly brown moths. Now I knew that there was a chance these caterpillars would turn into moths, but I envisioned the delicate white ones or something. These kind of freaked Alex out. But we took them outside to let them go free. And, of course they didn't fly away. They kind of crawled around outside instead of making a grand departure. That's ok. I'm pretty sure Alex doesn't quite get the whole process. There's always next year.


3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Too bad it wasn't a real butterfly but I still think that it is cool that you got to see the whole process.

Anica said...

I am laughing out loud on this one! Hilarious! Better luck next year!
Cool picture of the ugly brown moth.

flem-fam said...

That's funny, Penny! I have always wondered what those caterpillars turned into too! Now I know!

Tiffany