Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Something's gotta change

This week it has been 100 degrees all week long. When it's that hot you really can't take kids outside. We even have a community pool, but that kind of heat and sun is just not good for anyone. So I've been stuck in my apartment for a week. I'm about to go stir crazy! Our 700 sq foot apartment is just too small for four people so there is stuff everywhere. I've been fussing at Alex a lot lately for just all the toys and mess that are everywhere. Yesterday I was cleaning the kids room while Alex was asleep, and I finally got everything picked up. I left the room for about 10 minutes to get some lunch and when I came back, 2 shelves of books were on the floor, the "Annie's toys" bucket was dumped out, the Fisher Price Piggy Bank was empty and the coins scattered, and she had opened up Alex's PJ drawer and was pulling clothes out. What do you do? This is what I'm to do! I'm taking half of the toys out of their room and putting them in boxes. They have a lot of classic toys that I don't want to get rid of but they just can't stay in their tiny room. I've been reading this book about how to get rid of all your stuff because all that extra stuff just sucks the energy right out of your house. I completely agree. It says not to organize, not to put things in storage units, but to throw it away. Well, I think he's talking to people who actually live in houses, cause there just isn't anywhere to put essentials, like food, in our kitchen. There is no office to put office stuff in. And there are no garage or laundry room to put those kind of things in them. So every room is a multipurpose room, which the author is defiantly not a proponent of. So we're going to rent an on site storage unit. All of our closets (which are few) are stuffed full with too small and too big baby clothes, newborn baby stuff (ie. swings, bassinet, and bumbo seat) a few Christmas boxes, and important to me things that will be displayed someday in our much bigger house we're going to get, I hope. So into this storage unit go all that and half of the kids toys. I can't wait to regain use of our closets. It looks like we will be stuck here for another year, so I'm going to do my best to make it alright. And hey, it could be worse.

2 comments:

out numbered said...

Come hang out with us!! We are going crazy too.

Anica said...

I loved this post. I meant to comment on it when I first read it. I have the same feelings as you do, only I have 400 more square feet and a garage to store things. I'm still saying it's TOO much stuff!