I think how big kids get it relative. When Alex hit his milestones it was kind of expected; there wasn't anyone to compare him too. When Annie hits a milestone or does something new, it shocks me since she such a "baby." I know she's actually getting toddlerhood, but she's such a baby still! Well, she's learned how to "sing" parts of "Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam." She actually sings the tune pretty well, but the part she likes is yelling BEAM and jumping up. Now when I'm putting her to bed, she asks for Beam and I know what she wants me to sing to her.
This morning I found myself completely out of milk which with two kids is not ok. So we headed off to BJ's to get some essentials. I must be completely predictable cause when we passed the orange juice, Annie made it clear we should put some in the cart. Same thing with the milk, eggs, bananas, batteries, and hotdogs. She's going to be able to do my grocery shopping for me before too long.
I've been singing to Alex since he was a day old, and one of the songs we consistently go back to is "Love is Spoken Here." He starting singing it last week, and could sing both versus by himself... completely shocked me. I also love to hear what he's learning in Primary. He's asking me to sing songs I've never sung to him before and I know it has to be the work of his primary leaders.
Alex is the only kid I've met that calls a banana a bana. I've only heard little kids call it a nana, including Annie. He's a rather good talker now so I've been trying to teach him to say it right. Our conversations go something like this:
Mommy: "Alex, say BA-NAN-A"
Alex: "BA-BAN-A"
Mommy: "No, say NAN-A"
Alex: "BAN-A"
He even calls Annie, Annie-babanie, which I think is the cutest thing ever. Well, today we were getting bananas at the store and he called it a babana and I started the instruction again trying to get him to say it right, and he did! Today was the first time my baby said BANANA! He said it the whole way home too. "Banana... I said it mommy! I make you so happy! I go in the potty, too! That makes you happy!"
Shaun was changing Annie's diaper the other day and Alex came up behind him and yelled, "What have you been eating child!"
Alex does a pretty good job going to primary, but he still needs a moment before he'll let us leave. I took him up to Sunbeams yesterday and he didn't want me to leave at all. I told him about being a big boy and that I had to go take care of his baby sister, but he still didn't want me to leave. Then another little girl came in and sat down. She recently got a new little sister so I asked her if she liked her new sister and what her name was. Alex looks at me and tells me I can leave at this point. As I walk out I see him sit down next to the girl and say, "You have a new sister? I have a Annie-babanie at home!"
Annie loves to watch me grill outside and she begs for little pieces of steak to eat hot off the grill, but the minute that same steak hits her plate on the dining room table, she won't touch it.
Alex loves to blog surf. He starts off with the blogs saved in my links and then uses the links on their blogs to find new blogs. He's really only looking for one thing... movie clips. He likes the pictures alright, but really only if it's a picture of someone he knows well. But it's the videos he really goes for.
Alex is obsessed with Target receipts. When I'm done recording a receipt, I put it under the desk for Shaun to shred. Alex sorts through them when I'm not looking and collects/hoards the Target ones. We haven't been able to figure out why yet.
Under Annie's dress on Sunday she was wearing tights and a onesie. After church we waited for Daddy for a few minutes in the car and rather then let her get cracker gunk all over her still clean dress, I took it off and left her in her tights, onesie and little pink sparkle shoes. As she walked up to our apartment she looked just like she was coming home from ballet class. And for the first time I started to wonder how old she needed to be to put her in a little ballet class.
4 comments:
Well, you know Target has a pretty cool logo! Aren't kids funny/weird?
Love the stories Penny! You have truly unique children. About the ballet classes, my little sister-in- law has been going to ballet classes for about a year and a half, and she's 4. My other sister-in-law began when she was 3.
Funny stories! Glad you have a record of these.
Good for you for getting them all down...since i am so far behind I think I might steal your idea!
Post a Comment