Annie has been carrying around little dolls since about the time she learned to walk. She rocks them and tucks them in at night and feeds them bottles. There are those out there who think that little girls learn this behavior from society. I don't think so. I think it's just part of their genes.
For example, we watch a little girl, Leah, who is about 15 months now. Leah has learned how to tell me when her diaper is dirty. And now I yell for Annie to come and change her. Annie and Leah think it's great fun. Annie knows every step. She pulls off the pants, takes off the diaper, wipes correctly, and puts the diaper and the pants back on. Right now I only let her change wet diapers and I take over the muddy ones, but she does a pretty dang good job. I didn't teach her this, she probably watched enough times to figure it out.
Well, this last week, Alex got brave and asked if he could change her diaper. I'm all for more helping hands so I consented. He laid her down and then looked at me and asked how to do it. What? He's 20 months older then my little girl but really didn't know how to do it. And as I showed him the different steps, he didn't perform them as well. Now, I'm not trying to discount Alex. The kid is brilliant in his own way. He has been building train tracks with multiple over and underpasses, turntables and train yards for Thomas and all his friends, that take up the entire playroom. But when it comes to the mothering instinct, you can tell that Annie was just born with it.
1 comment:
Those who think that it is all nurture must not have kids of their own!
Post a Comment