Monday, May 12, 2008

How Times Change

I'm really not that old. But I listened to records and tapes growing up. I watched VHS. CDs and DVDs just weren't around yet. Digital cameras weren't around yet either. I played the Super Nintendo as a teenager. I was probably in middle school when we got our first computer. I was a senior before we really got the Internet, and even then, it was nothing like what we have today. I took an Internet class my senior year of high school, where we learned about www, and .com and html. One of our assignments was to send an email to the teacher. Eleven or twelve years later this seems ridiculous. But I just couldn't figure it out then. I'm pretty good at it now. I do have a reason for mentioning all this. I was an adult before the computer became a part of my life. I've been watching my two year old play on the internet for the last hour. He has two favorite programs. One is a Fisher Price ABC game that he calls "animal game." The other is Thomas the tank engine.com. This website has 20 or so clips of Thomas videos and he loves it. If we get him to the site then he can pick his videos and get around to find other videos. Most of these video clips are music videos. He's watched them so often he's starting to memorize them. I love seeing this little boy at the computer watching his favorite videos and singing every 10 words or so. If I try to sing them with him he gets mad and tells me, " I sing it." We have shortcut icons he can use to get to his sites, but he just doesn't have the coordination to double click yet. I wonder how long that's going to take. Then he won't need my help at all. We also have a webcam now so that the kids can get to know their grandparents better. We don't get to see them very often and the kids love to talk them on the computer. The kids includes Annie. She's eight months and she gets so excited to see grandma on the moniter! I wonder how long it's going to take before they are showing ME how to do things on the computer!

1 comment:

Anica said...

I know right. I can't believe how much technology has changed just since high school. My mom's first cell phone was a brick! It weighed a TON. And it couldn't do anything else besides dial a phone number. No games, no internet, no calendar, and definitely no texting. My kids and grandkids will think I'm a dinosaur! Especially how I use "real" sentences and "real" words. And that I might even "write" them a letter.