Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Elmo

A few days ago our pet fish died. He had been a good little fish for about a year now. I gave him a burial at sea... at least he'll reach the sea someday, and didn't think much of it. Then Alex woke up from his nap and asked where the fishie went. I tried to explain that he died and went to go live with Heavenly Father. I didn't think he had a grasp of it, but when Shaun got home from work he went running to him to tell him, "Daddy, fishie is dead. Mommy flushed him in the potty and now he went to Heavenly Father." So maybe he does have some idea.
Today we set off for the pet store to find another fish. I let him have his pick of the beta fish. He picked a pretty blue one. Then I asked him his name.
Alex: "I don't know."
Mommy: "Well, we have to give him a name. Should me call him, Sam?"
Alex: "No. That's silly."
Mommy: "How about ... I named off five or six names which he rejected... How about Cookie Monster since he's blue?"
Alex: "No, his name is Elmo."
Mommy: "Are you sure? He looks like a Cookie Monster to me."
Alex: "No Mommy, his name is Elmo."
So there you go. We welcomed Elmo into our family. Alex even got to pour him into his new home.

No comments: