Sunday, September 21, 2008

Homemade Bread

I never realized how much bread we used until we were completely out of it. I normally go to Walmart and stock up on their $0.88 bread, freezing most of it. I have been very weary of Walmart this month, since I'm trying to save some money and it's hard to walk out of that store with only what you came for. So I figured I'd make my own bread for a change. Normally I'm not a fan of homemade breads because the crust comes out so hard. I found on Allrecipies a white bread recipe that came out great! It even has the soft crust of store bought bread. Light Oat Bread. I didn't bake it in the bread maker, I set the bread maker cycle for pasta/dough, and I baked it at 350 for 30 minutes in the oven after letting it raise one more time. It is still good a few days later. It's still cheaper to buy bread then to make it, but if I run out again, I know which recipe I'll be using.

2 comments:

M & J Bowerbank said...

Sweet! I have always wanted to make my own bread. The closest thing to it was making some dinner rolls for Thanksgiving last year.

flem-fam said...

I'm gonna have to try that recipe! Although I respectfully disagree that homemade bread is more expensive. I calculated mine to cost about 20 cents per loaf. You just have to get a good deal on the yeast.