Tuesday, September 9, 2008

New Stats

Annie had her 12 month check up today. She's now 20 lbs 2 oz and 29 inches tall. So that puts her in the 50% for her height and weight. I had the nurse check out Alex really quick while we were there too... 27 lbs 8 oz. So he's growing up, too. The doctor said that everything looks good on Annie and she's growing just nicely. But then she mention our last appointment. At the 9 month check up, they check the baby's hemoglobin to watch for anemia. Annie's count was ever so slightly below their cut off. I'm not a doctor, but I worked in the clinical lab for 5 years, and so I know that it wasn't low enough to make a real difference. The doctor wanted me to get iron supplements for her and come back in a month, and then she warned me to dilute the medicine so her teeth wouldn't turn yellow, and that her stools would change, and I decided, it wasn't worth it, and I wasn't going to worry about the iron supplements at all. Today the doctor sounded annoyed that I hadn't given her supplements and had her rechecked. You could hear it in her voice when she said, "so you decided it wasn't important enough to do anything after what I told you last time, well we have to get her rechecked today and if she's still under we will have to talk about this again." Well, Annie got her little toe pricked again and her hemoglobin came back well over the acceptable amount. I have a great respect for doctors. I'm so thankful we have them. Broken arms, cancer, high risk pregnancies, and so many other problems are beautifully handled by skilled and educated doctors. But I will admit I wanted to find that doctor and nanny nanny boo boo her for trying to read more into a single test result of healthy baby... a "problem" that was corrected by simply feeding her. Oh, and Annie was ok'd to forward face in her car seat, something she loves already. She and Alex can see each other better now and there is a lot of giggles and laughing that come out of the backseat!

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wow, She looks so grown up:)

simplyso said...

Doctors are wonderful but what's even more wonderful is that we are FINALLY taking them off the "god pedestal" and using a little common sense. And Annie DOES look so grown up sitting there!