Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Back to Step One

Well, I found a couple more homes to try to get. The real estate agent convinced us to put in an offer on both of them. The first house is completely cute and ready to move in to. It has a great yard and the commuting possibilities are really good. And for a family that loves slurpees, there's also a 7 eleven less then a half a mile away. We put in a bid that was a bit higher then the asking price, but we also found out there were 25 other offers (five of which are all cash payment) so we aren't holding our breath.
The other house needs some work. The kitchen and bathrooms are really nice but all the windows have to be replaced before we'd move in. It needs paint and carpet and some major TLC. Right now you can't get into the back yard from the back of the house because the people who lived here previously took the deck with them and the sliding glass door is four feet above the ground. One of the big rooms on the first floor is a dungeon with very little light and really no way to bring in more natural lighting. When Mark, my real estate agent, showed it to us I had my doubts. He encouraged us to put an offer on it even though I was skeptical. So we humored him and submitted an offer $30,000 less then asking. On the drive home I was kind of worried about it, "what if we actually got this one?" After sleeping on it and really thinking about it, I really hope we do! It has enormous potential without too much money, mostly just sweat work. It was great to know that Mark pays attention to what I like and can see it even when it takes me a night to see it too.
So, Step One completed...again. We should hear back from both banks by the middle of next week. We're just waiting until then.

3 comments:

Stephen and Gabrielle said...

They took the deck?! Why? Weird!

Traci said...

Interesting...I would have taken the washer and dryer before the deck. Maybe they took those too! :) Good luck. I think both of those houses are really cute.

Anica said...

Penny, Good luck with your house hunting. I know the right one will be coming your way soon. Hang in there!