My parents were fairly strict parents. I remember misbehaving and all it took was a stern look from one of my parents and we would stop doing whatever it was we weren't supposed to be doing. I also remember them getting so mad over things and I just couldn't figure out what the big deal was...whatever I was doing at the time certainly didn't merit all the fuss. Well, of course, I understand a lot better now. Being a parent has taught me more than anything else ever has.
Today my kids were acting way out of line. I think I've gotten too lax lately. So as my pattern seems to be, they start to really misbehave and I have to draw the line and show them who's boss... again. But today as I was laying down the law and trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to teach them that whining really doesn't get you anywhere, I just kept thinking of it from their point of view. I'm sure they were thinking, "Really Mom, what's the big deal? Do you really have to get all in a tizzy?" Well, yes, I have to, it's my job. I want you to grow up to be respectful adults; I'm doing the best I can.
My only consolation is that they will understand in 25 years or so.
3 comments:
it sounds like youre doing a great job! just hang in there:)
It is comforting to know that when we act like our parents, we are producing children as wonderful as we are:)
It's nice to be validated by your kids! Thanks for being so free with your acknowledgements!!!
Post a Comment