A few weeks ago I dragged my kids through the mall in search of a Father's Day gift for Shaun. Alex had gotten it in his head that he was going to get candy as a treat if he was good the whole time. I never said or suggested it, but he had convinced himself. We were on our way out of the mall when I suggested they get a cookie from TCBY because they were so good. Alex asked for candy instead, but I wasn't going to walk all the way across the mall again to his candy so I told him cookie or nothing, which I think is pretty generous since those cookies are $0.70 a piece. Well, he didn't like that and threw himself on the ground to throw a fit. Fine. We're done. I told him he wasn't going to get anything then and we were out of there. What he did next made me laugh.
Alex: (taking a few exaggerated deep breaths) "Mommy, I take some deep breaths. (takes a few more deep breaths) I'm calming down. See, I'm happy now. Can I please have a cookie?"
Sometimes I feel like what I'm trying to teach him goes in one ear and out the other. Maybe there is hope for us yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment