Sunday, September 6, 2009

More New Beginnings

I like change... in theory. I really think I'll like change and I get kind of excited about it, until it actually happens. I was pretty excited about going to my new ward today and meeting those people who I'd be sharing Sundays with for the next few years. I was excited about it until I actually got there. I've loved going to a ward where I know a good number of the people there and can count most of them as friends. It was kind of nerve wrecking to go to a ward where I didn't know anyone. I know that it will happen in time, but for now I feel awkward and shy and I don't know who is new like me and who has been there forever. Not that the ward wasn't nice. I had a few people talk to me and introduce themselves. Today was fast and testimony meeting which often gives you an idea of the tone of the ward, and it seems like a good ward. The teachers were interesting and everyone seemed normal. They even bring in Panara bread once a month for the relief society.
Part of me want to go and introduce myself to everyone and be proactive in finding friends, which can be risky before you get a calling. I don't want to end up teaching or something because they think I'm outgoing. I'm also paranoid that I'll just say something dumb.
The other part of me wants to sink into the background and wait for someone to come and talk to me. Having just left a very transient ward, I know that I shouldn't do this cause the sister next to you could be just as new as you.
I guess I'll just have to find a balance.
I miss Alexandria 2nd Ward.

6 comments:

V said...

Alexandria 2nd totally misses you too!
(and there are only 2 girls and probably 20 boys in nursery.)

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

We miss you too. Good luck!!! New wards are always hard at first. :)

Christine said...

Penny, I am going to miss you and your family so much. I did not always chat with you every Sunday but I always sought you out to see your smiling face and see how beautiful and happy your chilren are. You are a wonderful mother and I love that about you. You will do fine in your new ward - goodness -- remember me as a new member 2-1/2 years ago and what a weirdo I was (and still am)????

Love, from the Bullocks!!!!!!!!!

out numbered said...

Yeah, your internet is back up!! I missed all of you on Sunday, especially Annie, I didn't have her to help me put out carpets in nursery for singing time. Your new ward is so lucky to be getting such a great family!! You need to post pictures of all the changes, I keep waiting to see pics of the floor you re-did. Miss you!!

Dan and Sharon said...

Penny - Come to work out on Monday Wed or Friday, so you can meet some people in your ward. 9:15 at the building.

E said...

Yeah...you'll make friends. I have no doubts. That is why there is a post it still in my scriptures with directions to the first apartment in it. Can't wait to see you Friday!