Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Regrading

We have a crack across the back wall of our first floor. The structural engineer says it's because of water pressure behind the wall. Previous owners of this house haven't up kept the dirt levels in the back yard so water drains from the top of the hill to the back of the house where it sits and pushes against the basement. He says the damage is minimal so we have the option of simply regrading the backyard to train the water to drain elsewhere and hope it stops pushing against the back of the house. I ordered top soil to do this. When the dump truck dumped it off this morning, the pile wasn't nearly as big as I had expected, but it should be enough to do the job. Annie and Alex immediately ran to get their wheelbarrow to help. All totaled, they probably moved 2 cubic feet of soil, but that's two feet I don't have to move.

1 comment:

Kellie Miller said...

Click on the bottom picture of Alex and look at those eyelashes in his shadow! Amazing!
Such happy little helpers you have!