Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Carving Pumpkins

One of my favorite parts of Halloween is carving the pumpkins. I admire all those amazing people who get the stencils and carve these creative and elaborate pumpkins. I'm not one of those people. I have one pumpkin that I make the exact same every year. It's my idea of the classic pumpkin and I have to have it sitting on my table. The other pumpkin I normally branch out a little on, but it's still pretty simple. Shaun calls them girlie pumpkins since they aren't scary. His idea of a good pumpkin involves scary faces that look mean.
Alex was excited to give the pumpkins "hats" and faces. He's kind of a pyromaniac and loves being able to stare at the fire once we create Jack O Lanterns. Last year he helped my scoop the stringy stuff out of the middle. This year, I asked him if he wanted to help me do it. His reply, "No, it get yucky on my arm. It will get me yucky all the way up to my sleeve. Mommy do it and get all yucky." This coming from the kid who loves to play in mud and dirt!
I also took another stab at roasting pumpkin seeds. This time was a success. Even Alex has been eating hand fulls of them.
Finished product!

4 comments:

Stephen and Gabrielle said...

I think they are both cute, despite what the peanut gallery says:)

millerjk said...

Cute, cute, cute!

Unknown said...

Cute kids, cute pumpkins, and I love the leaves. You're such a great homemaker! Isn't Annie precious hugging the pumpkin?!?!

simplyso said...

Those are MY grandbabies!!!!