Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Question?

I've been reading a lot lately... things like Harry Potter and Eragon. They're books I don't think he understands or should even have the patience for, but he's been asking me to read them to him. I read five pages of Eragon to him today before telling him to go and do something else. But I don't want to discourage him from reading, I just don't think he understands the stuff I read. So to you out there who are more experienced at this, would you keep reading the big books with no pictures to him, or do you have suggestions of books that may not be picture books, but closer to his level?

6 comments:

simplyso said...

It's not the words in the book that make the impression at this age. It's the rhythm and syntax that imprint on the little fellow's brain that will stay with him. Consistent exposure to the (read) written word will definitely improve his language and communication skills. He'll let you know if he's bored and you get to read a good book!!

millerjk said...

I just recently started reading chapter books to Alex and she is almost 5. We are ready Junie B Jones. A chapter a night and I am impressed with how much she can recall from the previous night. That is not to say she completely understands all, but can at least recall.
Good luck! If he is enjoying it, keep reading. I read the BoM to Alex as a newborn.

Anica said...

Definitely keep reading the harder level books. He'll learn more vocabulary. He's probably understanding more than you give him credit for. I think it's great he sat and listened to you for 5 mins. Keep it up, I say.

Bonnie said...

I am not experienced at this but I think you should keep reading because you are creating lasting memories of quality time.

E said...

In my Children's Lit class, they recommended that you start with simple chapter books as early as they would allow you. I tried around this time last year to read a Little House (one of my favorites) to Eliza, but she just wanted pictures. If he will sit for it, by all means find some chapter books that he might like. Shauna probably has some good suggestions in this area (I can only reccommend girly ones:)

out numbered said...

I found a great section at the library for simple chapter books. They are in the beginner reading sections. Tre loves all the "Oliver Pig" and "Amanda Pig" books. Clayton loves all the "Frog and Toad" books. The books have four or five chapters with a few pictures. The "Magic Tree House" series is another great one. I think I will start reading those with Tre next.