I've been getting a little concerned about Annie's lack of speaking ability. She's 13 months old now and the only thing I've heard her say is Mama. It turns out that I'm just not paying attention. When Alex was this little and I listened to every little sound that issued forth out of his mouth, I heard lots of words. They are the barely distinguishable words that only mothers can hear. "Ah Du" translates into "all done" if you're listening right. Yesterday my mom finished quilting Annie's new big girl blanket so she was showing Annie all the Care Bears on it. Annie said bear while pointing to all the little Care Bears, and I thought, Great! She's starting to say things. Then when I was telling Shaun this he pointed out the other words she says. "Ah Du" "Ba"=bye "Di"=Drink. I would have noticed and have already written it in the baby book with Alex. As hard as I'm trying not to fall into the pattern of slowly neglecting each subsequent child a little more then the older, It looks like it's just a hopeless cause. I just don't have the time to hang onto every little grunt she makes. Not that she can say she's neglected. The realm of little girls has been so much fun. She just has a completely different personality to get to know. It's fun to watch my little baby, walk around taking care of her own baby doll. And I love dressing her up. I found a cheap dress pattern that takes minimal material, and I made her a Halloween dress. She'll have a Thanksgiving and a Christmas one before long. I know that before I know it, she'll get to big to dress her hokie holiday wear...well at least until she's 60 or so and it becomes acceptable again.
Ok so needless to say she's not as behind in her language skills as I had originally feared. And now that I've heard it, I'm paying better attention to those sounds that translate into worlds. So with the sign language and the few little words, she's quite the chatterbox!
2 comments:
Just wait until you have number 3, affectionately referred to as "Romanian Baby"
What an absolutely adorable neice and nephew I have!! :) Penny, you are so good at this blogging thing! I will be driving or doing my usual house work and think, "Oh, I should blog about this or that" and then I just don't get to it. (sigh) I'm so glad that you are good at it, though, because it helps me keep updated with you all so very far away! Anyway, I'm so glad that Annie liked her stroller! I love the pigtails!! She's getting long hair!! And totally got a kick out of the beach pics! love you guys!!! miss you tons!!
Post a Comment