Sunday, August 3, 2008

Mini Golf

My father likes to tell stories about all the alligators he encounters on his fishing trips. He and Shaun hooked an alligator the last time they went fishing. And I remember being 9 or 10 when we had a little yellow canoe. It's the only boat that our family had at the time to go fishing in. We were cruising down the St. John's River and my father ran the canoe right on top of a gator. Of course this scared me to death, and his comforting words consisted of, "He's already eaten, he won't eat you." Thanks Dad. My father and Alex already get along well, and I guess he's told him gator stories, too, because before we went to Florida I asked Alex what he wanted to do. His answers were, see grandma, feed chickens, ride airplane, see Papa's "barn" (shed), and get a alligator. I knew how I was going to find the chickens, grandma, and the airplane. I wasn't sure how I was going to find him a gator he could get close to. As luck would have it, we decided to go miniature golf, and there were baby alligators. For just $2.95 you could put hot dog pieces on a fishing pole and feed the alligators. Alex wanted to do it all by himself and after feeding the last hot dog piece, he dropped the pole in the water. Apparently they see this a lot, because they had a special tool just to retrieve lost poles.

The actual mini golf was fun too. But Alex is no little Tiger Woods. There was no natural ability there. The skill he holds on the mini golf course is picking up the balls and throwing them in the water traps so Shaun has to put his arm up to elbows in nasty water to find his ball. Ewww. Carley, Shaun, and I never officially tallied our scores, we we don't even know who won.We love Aunt Carley!

No comments: