Thursday, August 21, 2008

Trying something new

I don't know about the rest of you, but there are times when I'm a complete loss as to what to do about my two year old. He seems to want to do the complete opposite of what I want him to do. Even if I know it's what he wants, he tells me he doesn't. He's given me the worst time about getting into his car seat the last few days. I've had to do the elbow in his stomach thing to try to get him buckled in. After forcing him into his car seat again this morning, I tried to think of a new tactic with him. This was kind of how our conversation went:

Mommy: "Alex, what is Daddy's job."
Alex: "Daddy go to work and earn money for food"
Mommy: That's right, that is Daddy's job, what is Mommy's job?"
Alex: "Um Um Um, I don't know."
"Mommy's job is to take care of you and feed you, and play with you, and keep you safe."
"What's safe?"
"Safe is to make sure you don't get big owies. Alex, what is Alex's job?"
"Um Um Um, I don't know."
"Alex's job is to grow big and strong, and have fun, and listen to mommy."
"Why?"
"When you listen to mommy and do what I say and try to be a good boy, then Mommy can do more for you. If you listen to me then I can play with you more and keep you safe better."
"Ok Mommy, my job is listen to you!"
We then went on to talk about what job everyone he knew held. He got really excited when I talked about Uncle Rick's job... being a student and going to school. His response to that was, "I go to school, I go to BYU!"
No pressure kid.

Anyway, the explaining everyone's job has seemed to help, at least for today. There have been a few times where he's decided he's not going to do something, but after a quick explanation on how that's part of his job, he seems much more compliant. I don't know how long it will last, but I'll take it for now.

1 comment:

E said...

Oh there's LOTS of pressure because he has to be Drew's Roommate and Drew is only going to BYU. Remind me of this tactic when I am at my wits end with Andrew, please:)