Saturday, August 16, 2008

Nursing

I believe that everyone is fully entitled to their own opinion about how to raise their own kids. I won't always agree with it or even like it, but shy of real abuse, they have that right. I am very opinionated on that subject. One of those things I happen to believe in is breastfeeding. I'm a huge advocate of nursing your baby and giving them the benefits that come from that. And I'm one who believes that you should be able to nurse anywhere. We eat in public...the car, the store, schools, parks, and restaurants... so our infants should have that right as well. Now, I'm not the type that goes around shouting all about the rights of the nursing mother, but then, I think it's because I don't have to. I've never been confronted about nursing my babies, but I've heard stories about my friends and family being judged by other people for nursing their children out for the world to see. Anyway, this blog has a point. Yesterday I was at Walmart around Annie's bedtime. She was starving and we weren't leaving any time soon. So I sat in the fabric section and nursed Annie in attempt to keep her happy until we left. This is something I do all the time. A lady walked by and praised me for my action. This isn't something you hear very often. She told me that when she moved to Virginia about twenty years ago, nursing in public was considered indecent exposure and you could be sent to jail for doing it. She and many other women marched Richmond's capital and sat on the steps nursing their babies. They got that ridiculous law changed. So I pay tribute to the women before me that made it possible for me to nurse my baby when I need to without fear. I am so very grateful to you!

5 comments:

Brit said...

You know what, I was at a girls' night out a couple weeks ago and this topic came up and I was stunned at some of the girls' responses! A couple of the girls couldn't believe that moms wouldn't cover up in the mother's lounge...the mother's lounge...the place designated for mothers. Why in the world would you cover up there (unless you're a really private person). They just went on and on and I could not believe my ears! I'm a Labor and Delivery nurse so nothing is private to me and I don't get bothered by that at all nor do I feel the need to cover up in the mother's lounge. How ridiculous! Sometimes I wonder why!

mike and bri smith said...

great post!!! I love it. Nursing sure makes things more simple and you make a great point about all of us eating in public so why not our precious babies. Great GReat!

Laurel said...

Agreed. You should be able to nurse anywhere. A blanket or cover and no one should have any complaints. And thank you to that woman!

E said...

It's funny, but when I was nursing Eliza, my mom had to make me get out of the car because I didn't want to nurse in public. I remember sitting on a bench in the Wilk across from Jamba Juice nursing her as all of these EFY kids walked by--they balked! Now Isaac and i whip it out any time any where and I am lucky if I remember to cover up!

simplyso said...

Thank goodness things are changing...at least we are more willing to do what is right and let people feel their feelings. When I nursed you, my mother kept asking when I was going to start feeding you. When she saw how plump and beautiful you were at 3 months old, she came to me and acknowledged that you were doing just fine. Then she mooooed at me!!!!