Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Why?

Why? Why? Why, Mommy, Why? It's something all little kids go through. There have been sitcom scripts written around this phenomenon in children. We smile when we hear other people's children start a string of whys and are thankful it's not ours. I knew it was coming, but I didn't know it was going to be such an easily noticed milestone. This morning Alex asked questions and was curious. He wanted to know things and he asked using, how, what, when, why and where. "What this?" "Where going?" "Where Papa?" "When Daddy get home?" "Can I...?" It was cute to watch him learn things. Then he took a nap this afternoon, and something happened in his little brain while he slept. Within minutes of waking up we started to hear, "why?" Why? Why? It's not a word he used much before his nap, and after...
Mommy: "Alex, come eat dinner."
Alex: "Why?"
Mommy: "It's dinner time."
Alex: "Why?"
Mommy: "Because it's getting dark and I'm hungry."
Alex: "Why?"
Mommy: "Eat or don't eat, I don't care, but it's dinner time."
Alex: "Why?"

This was just one of many many strings of why. So I have taken the next step into the world of toddlerhood. Heaven help me!

1 comment:

E said...

OK , I realize that you jsut got home, but I SERIOUSLY need more posts!! Miss you.