Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Great Set Back
One of my mom's favorite sayings is, "Do you know how to make God laugh... tell him your plans." Along those lines..."Don't count your chickens before they hatch." So a little background. It wasn't three hours after I wrote my last post about how well Alex was doing that we had our next big adventure. I put him down for a nap, and I laid down with him for a good twenty minutes, and left him almost a sleep. A half and hour later he comes out apparently not sleepy. This isn't typical behavior. When nap time comes around he's out. I let him stay up since Annie had just woke up and I wasn't going to get "me" time anyway. A few minutes later, he hits her in the face with a metal train. Ok, he's done. I told him that he needed quiet time since he was having troubles being nice to his sister. He'd just gone to the potty so I figured he'd be fine for the hour I set his timer to. After 45 minutes had gone by, he'd been quiet and I was thinking he'd handled quiet time very well. He opened his door a crack and I told him he had 15 minutes left. Annie snuck in then, but I let it slide. I heard them playing and laughing in their room, and as his mom, my heart just melts when I hear my children playing together. Finally his timer goes off and I open his door to tell him he can come out. What do I see?! Annie is covered from head to foot with poop. His bed is covered, his bike is covered, his bookshelf, the curtains, his wall, behind the door, the whole barrel of monkeys, and their are streaks of brown all over his floor!!! Amazingly enough I manage to stay calm as I tell him that I'm not mad that he had an accident but that I was mad that he smeared it everywhere! I gave him a rag and had him start to clean it up. I know you aren't supposed to yell during potty training, but since he thought it was funny, I let him know exactly how I felt in the loudest voice I've ever used. I don't want him to think that it was OK at all. I promise I followed up with another talk on how I wasn't mad about the accident, just what he did next, and then we cuddled and talked about how much I loved him and how proud I was that he was doing so good with the potty. Thank heavens that I had Erica's carpet cleaner. Thank you Erica!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Holy cow! I would have just flipped. I can't believe that. I am glad you had some good carpet cleaner, what kind do you use?
I would say that you handled that much more calmly than I would have--can you say CPS? I am glad that rick brought the cleaner back for you--was the smell terrible?
Holy cow. I'm sorry. I'm having similar issues with my preschoolers. Tonight's antics included pouring a brandnew bottle of baby wash into the tub.
Post a Comment