Sunday, July 20, 2008

Potty Training Update

We are a week into potty training...oh boy. Overall I think we are doing ok. He has more successes then he does accidents, and a couple times a day, he actually initiates the trip to the potty. However, he still won't poop in the potty, and if he's playing he doesn't think to go and we get an accident. But, then he's two, I can kind of understand it. He'll get it eventually, and as long I stay relaxed about it, he'll probably get it sooner rather then later. He's my complaint. I made a general announcement to the household that Alex was NEVER going to wear diapers again. It was a celebration. Then today I went to visit a friend for about an hour and when I walk in the front door, there was my little boy... in a diaper! What part of no more diapers did I not make clear?! My husband's excuse? "He wanted to wear a diaper." I don't care! In what universe does a two year old get to have control over his parents. Not in this house. I told Alex he needed to get his underwear back on and he says to me, "No, Daddy says yes." Guess what! I don't care, get your underwear back on. I made Shaun fix it and he tried to convince Alex to get those pants back on. Eventually it worked and Alex came back to the kitchen to explain to me that big boys wear underwear. Thank you. Shaun thinks Alex knows what he wants. I keep trying to explain that he doesn't. He's two. All he wants to know is that Mommy and Daddy are actually in charge. He wants to know that we are going to be consistent. Alex is happier when his boundaries are very well defined and set. I guess parenting is a work in progress for everyone involved.

On a funnier note, we got home from church and we were talking about the accident Alex had had in nursery. Shaun asked Alex if he wanted to wear diapers again, and in a steady, monotone, robotic like voice, Alex answered, "I no wear diapers. I a big boy. Big boys wear underwear. Annie a baby. She wear diapers. I no wear diapers. I a big boy." I didn't think I was actively brainwashing the poor kid, but apparently I am!

2 comments:

E said...

Gosh I miss that kid--it's good to brainwash a kid right? Wish me luck for tomorrow--I am starting Drew:) You are an inspiration!

simplyso said...

Brainwashing or training? Is there really a difference?

Besides, if we take the macrocasm of this microcasm (us to God as Alex to Mom) I have to admit there are plenty of times when I recite in my own version of robotic monotone...."thy will God, not mine be done." One day I'll actually believe that and it not be just lip service.

You go Alex. Hang in there Mom.