
My mom swears by the Coke Slurpee. It didn't matter if you were fevered, chilled, nauseated, tired, headache, dehydrated, or depressed...a coke slurpee could fix anything. So when we were little and we got sick, you could pretty much count on getting that slurpee. We drank them all the time. We would ride our bikes a few miles to the 7 eleven and get one there. When I met Shaun and early in our relationship suggested we go get a slurpee, he admitted he'd only had one or two in his life! Now this doesn't seem odd to most people, but without exaggeration, I must have had easily a 1000 slurpees. I started to tell him of the medicinal use of the Coke Slurpee (it has to be coke, not cherry or pina colada, or any other flavor). Of course he scoffed at me. But he just didn't understand. From then on, he would go and get me a slurpee when I got sick, but you know he thought it was just comfort food. Well, then I got pregnant with Alex and we were reading through the pamphlets that the midwives had given me, and right there in front of us, in a medical document, it said, "...for nausea it is helpful to sip a COKE SLURPEE..." There you have it. We've passed it down to the next generation too. Alex will randomly come to me with this pitiful expression on his face and tell me, "Mommmy, tummy is owie, I need a slurpee." So now we are trying to teach him that you don't have to be sick to get a slurpee. Sometimes they are just delicious.
4 comments:
That is so cool! I've probably only had 5 slurpees in my entire life.
I'm sure you already know this, but thought I'd pass it along.
Slurpee Day 2008
Just a reminder to all: July 11th is once again Slurpee day - a wonderful day to celebrate the creation of the Slurpee. This year, as in the years before, 7-Eleven stores will be handing out 1000 free 7.11oz Slurpees from 7am until 11pm (or until supplies last). Yay! Free Slurpee!!!!
http://www.myslurpeecup.com/
Ahhh, the healing power of slurpees... I wish we had them in GA because those pathetic imitations they sell at BK don't cut it.
If my mom had that theory, I would have been faking sick everyday. I love slurpees!
It does feel good to be validated! And thanks for reminding us about Slurpee Day!!!It ought to be listed as a National Holiday!
Post a Comment