Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Midnight Musings

It's 2:30am and I am laying in the middle of the floor cuddling my two babies, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Right at 2am I was jarred out of a deep sleep to the characteristic sound of doors opening and closing in my parent's house. Then I hear Alex screaming. Of course when your brain is still fuzzy, you don't think straight, and I immediately think Alex is being taken away. That moment of panic only last 2 seconds, but it scared me to death. I'm out of my bed in an instant in search of my little man. I don't see him anywhere, but I can still hear him. Apparently he's still in his room. He and Annie are sharing my parent's sewing/storage/guest room. I get in there and he his stuck in the corner opposite the door. There's a shelf about three feet from the ground and in front of it is a desk, a skateboard, and some wooden boards. I'm guessing in the dark Alex got disoriented and tried to find me. He must have had to do some work to get stuck where he was, but there he was. In the process of getting him unstuck, Annie woke up so there I was with two screaming kids in the middle of the night. But they both put their heads on my shoulders and just cuddled and stared at me. The microsecond of panic I had when I first woke up was enough to make me want to sit and just hold them for awhile. My mom used to tell me that as soon as you have a baby, you worry all the time for at least the next 18 years. I consider myself an optimist, but when comes to the safety and well being of my kids, I'm such a worrier. But it was nice to set worry aside for a little while and just spend quiet, still time with them. I was back in my bed by 3, still trying to figure out what door I heard in the first place.

Alex was good enough to get back in the corner the next morning so I could get a picture! How in the world did he get there in the middle of the night?!

No comments: