Alex had so much fun using every train he had. They went round and round and under the bridge, and to the station, and they stopped and picked up cows and Cranky the Crane did his thing.
However, a loose train can only last so long when it's on carpet and being played with by a two year old. Alex tripped and knocked down half the track. Shaun just took a deep breath and asked Alex to step back for a few minutes so he could fix it. In the process of trying to get out of the way, Alex knocked over the other half of the track. Shaun just shook his head. I was laughing! Shaun looked at Alex and called him a hurricane and an earthquake. Not ten seconds later, Annie comes walking up and picks up one of the last pieces still in its place and hands it to Shaun. The kids had destroyed the track. Shaun put it all back together, and they were able to play with it a little longer, until Annie came and recked havoc all over again.
And after all that, Alex had to test his boundaries. We told him that it was time to pick up all the tracks and put them away. He wouldn't do it. In times past, when he won't put away his tracks, I take individual trains and put them in time out for a few days. This is losing its effectiveness. So today I told him he could pick up all his trains or they would all go in timeout for a few days. He told me to put them in time out. I gave have at least five chances to put them away before Shaun and I put them all in the bin and put them at the top of my closet. It was only then that he realized I wasn't bluffing and then the begging started. "I'll pick up my trains, I'll pick up my trains!" "No put the trains in timeout!" Well, guess what, too late. We will see how well he picks when the trains come back down in a couple days.
2 comments:
The train set looks awesome! I love your pictures too. Your camera does a great job:)
You've described perfectly the scenario that has happened in our house, time after time.
Post a Comment