Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Fourth of July


I love fireworks and being outside and grilling, and all those things that come with Independence Day. We started today with a ward breakfast and flag ceremony. I made sure Annie and Alex looked patriotic.
We came home and I got to take a nap for a change. A friend who works in the Pentagon invited us to watch the fireworks there with his family. I was so excited! We got there a few hours early to save seats. Alex loved climbing the wall to see the water and boats that were just on the other side.

Annie tried to take a look around too. She loved the open space to move around in. She was really lucky. Alex, Robby, and Jon all helped to keep her entertained.

Very cute bow I made Annie for the Fourth



As seems to be tradition around here, it rained for an hour or so while we were all waiting for the fireworks. You can't tell from this picture, but it was coming down pretty good. Alex loved playing in the rain and in the puddles it created. He was soaked from head to foot.
Now, of course I didn't take this picture, but since I didn't bring a tripod, and Alex wouldn't be still, this is the closest thing I have to pictures of the fireworks.
Alex was not impressed by the fireworks. Maybe he was a little impressed by the pink ones. This was the first year he wasn't scared of them, so we are making improvements. He was so excited for the first 10 seconds of the firework show and then he started asking to go home. I kept telling him we would go when the fireworks were all done. He had been waiting for three hours, but I thought once the explosions happened, he'd be a little more interested. He asked a half a dozen times to go home, and I told him we would be going soon. When the grand finale finished and all the fireworks were done, all the people on the lawn of the Pentagon started clapping.

Alex: "Mommy, more fireworks?"
Mommy: "Nope, sorry sweetie, fireworks are all done."
Alex: "We go home now?"
Mommy: "Yep, it's time to go."
Alex: "Yeah!! ::claps his hands excitedly:: All done!!"

Happy Fourth of July!!

3 comments:

simplyso said...

Remember how we say you can make God laugh by telling Him our plans? Well, apparently, Alex doesn't hold much by plans either. You just never know what's going to impress him!!! The pictures are great though Penny!

Bonnie said...

Looks like you all had a great time:) What a great chance to see the fireworks.

Anica said...

You guys look great! I love Annie's bow and outfit! I would love to see the fireworks one day in our nation's capitol!